Friday, November 13, 2009

An Open Letter to the Brigham Young University Administration: Professor Hiring

As we've discussed starting this blog, I have thought long about what I would like my first post to be about. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to attend a memorial service for Professor Michael Goldsmith, who recently passed away from Lou Gehrig's disease. He made an unbelievable contribution to the law school, and I thought I'd write something about him. The following letter is what I've come up with.

Dear Brigham Young University,

I write this letter partially as a tribute to Professor Michael Goldsmith, and partially to question the university's policy, from a religious standpoint, of hiring professors belonging only to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I do not question the policy based on our outward image, the ability to attract top faculty members, ability to attract diversity, or any other criteria, although I think good arguments can be articulated in these areas. I am a graduate of the Political Science department at BYU, and am currently a third year student at the law school. I have had several fantastic professors, but two that stick in my mind are Michael Goldsmith and David Dominguez at the law school. The experiences I have had in both of their classes leave me convinced that it is good for the students, and good for the university as a whole for non-LDS professors to have a presence at BYU.

I believe I understand the university's reason behind the policy. One of the aims of BYU is to provide a spiritually uplifting environment throughout the university. Essentially, professors of all subjects should also be, at least to some degree, religion professors. This has been evident at some point in every class I have taken at BYU, and I appreciate and support that goal. It certainly creates the type of experience that students could not receive at other schools. I do not argue that this is not a positive aim, or that we don't need religion in every class-- I think it is one of the most important parts of an education from a religious institution. The problem is this: I don't believe that non-LDS professors cannot accomplish the same goals. In fact, Professor Goldsmith and Professor Dominguez have done a better job of strengthening my faith in my own religion than many of my LDS professors (and I dare say even some religion professors) have.

Consider Professor Goldsmith. As I'm sure you are aware, he was a star member of the law school faculty. He was born in Israel, grew up in Queens, was a prosecutor, an assistant US Attorney, a member of the New York Organized Crime Task Force, and a member of the Federal Sentencing Commission. And he was Jewish. He recently died of Lou Gehrig's Disease after fighting it for more than three years. Even when his health was failing, he continued to teach although it required him to ask students for help with nearly everything. He humbly asked students for rides to and from his home in Heber, for help carrying his books to and from his office, and even for help adjusting his microphone during class when it was bumped out of place. Through his example of humility, we learned greater humility. By continuing on, even when it required so much effort from him and for him, he taught us courage and commitment to a cause. Indeed, that was his final message to us on the last day of the last class he would teach-- we needed to be committed to our causes. He exhorted his students to always do our best, and to creatively and passionately work for whatever cause we desired. Those are messages that will stay with me for life-- regardless of Professor Goldsmith's passing. We would be lucky if many of our LDS professors had such a profound positive effect on their students. I can think of few who have come close in my experience (again, not to say that I haven't had great professors).

Professor Dominguez is another example. His story of success is inspiring. He grew up in the gang riddled neighborhoods of Los Angeles. He attended Yale through affirmative action, and later graduated from Boat Hall Law School at UC Berkley. He went on to work as an attorney for the National Labor Relations Board, and has been another star faculty member at BYU Law School. He is also Catholic. His example is one of compassion and charity. He leads a group that works with the juvenile justice system here in Provo, and devotes a considerable amount of his live to aid underprivileged and underrepresented groups with legal problems. He is an example of what diversity should accomplish in academia. I am currently in his labor law class, and his views regarding unions are vastly different from any of the students in the class. He doesn't force his views on us, but has helped us understand another side of the argument, and has broadened our understanding of how others in different situations view unions. We need more professors like him.

Professor Goldsmith has left us, and Professor Dominguez will one day retire. My fear is that students will be cheated if they do not receive similar experiences. It is not in the school's best interests to pass up talented and devoted professors, who can help us increase our own faith and better exercise our religion, simply because of their personal faith. A key attribute for BYU professors, rather than religious affiliation, should be the ability and devotion necessary to inspire students to better live their faith. Certainly, there are too few able to do that outside the LDS Church, as well as in. We would be lucky to find another Michael Goldsmith anywhere in academia, and we should not restrict ourselves only to members of the LDS Church.

Sincerely,

Reasonably Prudent American

No comments:

Post a Comment